We invest in a broad range of research on issues important to New Zealand, and support the development of health research careers. Our mission is 'benefiting New Zealand through health research'.
The HRC is made up of the Office of the Chief Executive and three directorates: the Business Operations and Finance directorate; the Research Investment and Contracts directorate; and the Strategy and Policy directorate. The HRC organisational chart is currently being updated and will be available shortly. The management team includes:
On 27 January 2015 Professor Kathryn McPherson joined the HRC as the Chief Executive.
Professor McPherson is an experienced public health researcher and has worked in the research field for over 16 years to improve the health of people with disabling conditions. Professor McPherson is author or co-author of more than 150 peer-reviewed journal articles. She has also served two terms on the HRC’s Public Health Research Committee.
Professor McPherson holds a PhD from the University of Edinburgh. She has clinical experience in nursing midwifery and community health, and an academic background in psychology and rehabilitation. In addition to having held appointments at AUT University, the University of Otago, the University of Auckland, and Victoria University of Wellington, Professor McPherson is Visiting Professor at a number of international universities.
Chief Executive expenses
The HRC discloses the Chief Executive's expenses annually, including gifts and hospitality. Visit www.data.govt.nz for general information about Chief Executive expense disclosure.
- Chief Executive Expenses for the period 1 July 2016 - 31 December 2016.
- Chief Executive Expenses for the period 1 January 2016 - 30 June 2016.
- Chief Executive Expenses for the period 1 July 2015 - 31 December 2015.
- Chief Executive expenses for the period 1 January 2015 - 30 June 2015.
- Chief Executive expenses for the period 1 July 2014 - 31 December 2014.
- Chief Executive expenses for the period 1 July 2013 - 30 June 2014.
- Chief Executive expenses for the period 1 January 2013 - 30 June 2013.
- Chief Executive expenses for the period 1 July 2012 - 31 December 2012.
- Chief Executive expenses for the period 1 January 2012 - 30 June 2012.
- Chief Executive expenses for the period 1 July 2011 - 31 December 2011.
- Chief Executive expenses for the period 1 January 2011 - 30 June 2011.
- Chief Executive expenses for the period 1 July 2010 - 31 December 2010.
Managing and co-ordinating the provision of financial accounting services to the HRC by, for example:
- providing accurate and timely accounting and financial reports including information on the availability of financial resources and the financial implications of funding decisions
- ensuring financial and accounting policies, procedures and practices are developed implemented and maintained
- providing financial policy advice as required
- advising on and managing the investments of the HRC in accordance with the provisions of the First Schedule, Health Research Council Act (1990)
- assisting with the negotiation of the output agreement with government ministries and funding agreements with other entities
- administering any financial matters relating to any contracts entered into by the HRC
- maintaining a fixed assets register
- preparing the annual financial statements in accordance with Part V of the Public Finance Act (1989) and ensuring that the HRC meets all statutory and legal requirements relating to financial and accounting functions.
- Management of the annual contestable funding round
- Management of Career Development Awards
- Preparation of the Investment Strategy
- Development of guidelines and application forms
- Management of peer review processes
- Support for the HRC’s Committees
- Monitoring of contractual research performance
- Development of research policy advice
- Preparation of HRC reports
- Evaluation of HRC programmes and activities
- Support for Long Range Strategic Advice Committee